March 02, 2010

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall.....

Have you ever heard a person describe you as beautiful or pretty “once they get to know you”? What about hearing that you have “the best personality” as some one is explaining you? Although these descriptions are likely intended as a compliment, you can’t help but feel a little insulted. It’s kind of like the expression, “you can’t judge a book by its cover”, but people do anyway. Appearances are intriguing so how can you rely on someone getting to know you without some sort of physical attraction?

How you see your self in the mirror is not always the way you portray yourself to be or what you think you look like. It's also not always the way others see you –that’s what we hope anyway. Some times I look at myself in the mirror and wonder if it was substituted with a fun mirror, like the ones you would find at a fair. Mirrors are so inconsistent too! They all give off a different reflection. They can be so deceiving, or at least most of the time that's what I tell myself. I think, NO WAY that girl is me, that’s not who I am!

I wish there was a mirror that can capture who you are inside. Although your personality and your heart can shine on the outside, why can't we see that in a mirror or even in a picture? They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but is it really? I don't necessarily agree with that phrase because sometimes pictures don't do a persons beauty or their inner beauty justice. When you think about a person in a picture, how can you really tell they are happy by their smile versus just simply being photogenic? A person’s smile can also hide a lot of hurt. I hide behind mine quite often, in fact. A smile doesn't necessarily symbolize happiness. LAUGHTER. Now that is a good measure of contentment. You can take a snapshot of someone laughing but you can’t hear it. I think the sound of laughter is contagious (and I’ve been told it’s a good form of exercise, especially your abs - Ha Ha Ha!)

Looking in the mirror today, I realized that its time to get in shape. Not just physically (although that too is much needed) but figuratively. It’s about time to get my life back in shape! I want to see my personality, motivation and determination in the next picture taken of me. I also want to be able to see these things the next time I happen to catch a glance of that woman in the mirror. I would like to see my reflection of the person I’m supposed to be, believe I am and who others claim to see me as being.

Don’t just smile pretty, mean it! CHEESE!

No comments: