November 12, 2009

The Balancing Act

I'm a great multitasker - most women are naturally. I can listen with both ears at the same time to 5 different kids talking, read a book while walking on the treadmill, talk on one phone and text on the other while driving.....ok, just kidding about the last one. I can do many multiple things at once yet I can't juggle, you know....with 3 objects at one time. I find this interesting. I'm very coordinated otherwise - walk in high heels and chew gum at the same time, etc. Seriously! :)

Why is that a common question......"Can you juggle"? I usually respond by saying YES! I can juggle 5 different school and sports schedules, Dr. appointments, carpool arrangements and work....even all of this with a dash of homework plus a side of house cleaning and make sure all kids are in bed by 8:30. Why is this never an acceptable answer?

A good friend asked me a great question the other day, how does a working mother find balance?Of course, my first thought was to be facecious.....I said whatever you're doing, just add a cold beer in each hand and that will keep you level headed. Those of you who know me don't see me with a cold one in my hand very often - and when you do, I typically can't keep one in my hand long enough....let alone 2! Ha ha ha!

In all reality, balance isn't something that is achieved by just one thing - or one less thing for that matter. Balance is being able to mutlitask or juggle w/o dropping the ball. You have to leave work at work and home at home but the two really go hand in hand......my home and everything in it, is what motivates me to work. And sometimes, my home (crazy home) is what drives me to work!

I find so much inspiration through music, especially since I'm in my car most of the day. I love all kinds of music. One of my favorite songs is one that has kept me going some days when I'm rushing across the state to get home in time for something - even just in time for dinner some days. This song has become my theme song actually. I want to share these lyrics with my fellow Mama's out there because it represents everything we do. Whether you are a working mother or stay-at-home ma.....we are the core of what keeps our families together! WE are what brings B A L A N C E because let's be honest......we are the pros and glorified jugglers!

Alicia Keys - SUPERWOMAN:
Everywhere I'm turning
Nothing seems complete
I stand up and I'm searching
For the better part of me

I hang my head from sorrow
State of humanity
I wear it on my shoulders
Gotta find the strength in me

'Cause I Am a SUPERWOMAN
Yes I am, Yes She is
Still when I'm a mess, I still put on my vest
With an "S" on my chest
Oh Yes, I'm a Superwoman

This is for all the mothers fighting
For better days to come
And all my women
All my women sitting here trying
To come home before the sun

And all my sisters come together
Say yes I will, Yes I can

'Cause I Am a SUPERWOMAN
Yes I am, Yes She is
Still when I'm a mess, I still put on my vest
With an "S" on my chest
Oh Yes, I'm a Superwoman


When I'm breaking down and I can't be found
As I start to get weak
'Cause no one knows me underneath these clothes
But I can fly, we can fly

'Cause I Am a SUPERWOMAN
Yes I am, Yes She is
Still when I'm a mess, I still put on my vest
With an "S" on my chest
Oh Yes, I'm a Superwoman


LET ME TELL YOU I Am a SUPERWOMAN
Yes I am, Yes She is
See, even when I'm a mess, I still put on my vest
With an "S" on my chest
Oh Yes, I'm a Superwoman


Oh Yeah, I'm tellin' you
I'm super, so super
I'm super, so super
Yes I am, YES WE ARE!!!!!

Listen to this song - on your way to work or way home. If you can't find balance....then considering trying the beer thing. Works well with Corona but 86 the limes!

PEACE my pretties!

No comments: