October 29, 2009

Half Empty and Half @ssed..........throw it all together that's how we roll.

I've always said my glass is half full. I'm just that kind of person. Positive thinking is my thing and having that type of attitude makes me think anything is possible. I am also a very competitive person and often relate every day situations to sports. I tell myself and the kids to make sure you're all in or be sure to box out, chin up and grin up, don't go out of bounds and my favorite of course is, don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Many of you know of the difficult summer I had with various health issues. I'm still on the mend and am taking things slowly (and because my body keeps slowing me down -which is good for someone like me who is always in a full court press). There were so many different tests and a different diagnosis from each Dr. that I am not even going to get into it all. I am no longer looking back. One thing I will share with you, however, is that during my time spent at Northfield Hospital and Mayo Clinic , I had some unpleasant tests and one in particular, the colonoscopy. Not once....or twice....but two and a half times!!!! YES, REALLY! One may ask, how the heck can you have two and a half colonoscopies?!? Well...I hope you don't have a visual but I indeed got half-assed the first time!

Now that I've had time to recover from this, it is easier for me to joke about. It just figures with the type of life I lead. Of course I take every situation and make light of it and take it as one of life's great lessons. You hear the expression, "Don't half ass...." or, "so-and-so did a half ass job". I use a similar expression (and of course a more appropriate phrase) when talking to the kids about chores or homework and say to them that it would save so much time to just take the time to do it right the first time. And by "right" I mean MY WAY - lol.

The same thing goes for when your glass is half full. My attitude adjusted a little after this summer when I was stuck in bed not being able to do ANYTHING. I went through some pretty dark times and started thinking more about the empty side of my glass. With everything that our family has endured this last year I developed a "why me" attitude. Those days were not fun and full of tears, fear and frustration (turns out it was just hormones).

SO - my new take on life is this: If your glass is half full - GOOD FOR YOU! Mine is still half empty. This isn't such a bad thing after all because that just means that you've did some drinking, have some more drinking to do and a refill coming. The other thing that kept coming to mind is to not "half ass" things because chances are you'll have to do it again...... twice over, my friends! Follow your shot so you can get your own board and slam dunk it!

I've added a video of our crazy crew + some extras that usually tag along for the fun. We are on our way to the homecoming game and decided to show some Trojan Pride. The song they are singing symbolizes the shuffles of our lives......"shake it off head to toe....throw it all together that's how we roll"!

Drink up friends and watch your back sides!

---Peace and Love

No comments: